Tuesday, June 30, 2009

We've disembarked!

We're back on the main land... boy I wish we were still out there at sea! We had such a good time on our cruise for three days.
The drive down and back from Miami was easy and I was amazed at how different that city is from Orlando. I had never been there (other than the airport) so it was really interesting.
Nassau was different than I expected. It was very dirty and touristy right around the port with pushy taxi-drivers, and we had to go across the bridge to Paradise Island to find pretty areas and beaches. Once we did that, I enjoyed this stop. We even snuck into the Atlantis hotel via the beach entrance... but we were so nervous we really only stayed long enough to take a picture inside. lolGreat Stirrup Cay (which, by the way, is right next to Royal Caribbean's CoCo Cay) was beautiful. I loved that island. It was so surreal to be in the middle of the ocean on a teeny island... we had to take tender boats back and forth from the cay to the ship which was the only time I thought I could have gotten sick if the seas had been a little rougher.
I didn't know what to expect going on a cruise, but the boat itself felt like a big hotel. I would completely forget at times that we were on a big boat in the middle of the sea. The room was very small, which I did expect (we did not expect the ONE queen bed, however!! haha) but the bathroom reminded me of a camper trailer bathroom... I don't know what I thought it would be like, but that wasn't it!
The rest of the experience was very similar to an All Inclusive resort and each has it's pros and cons. Cruising was so fun for a weekend getaway because when you wait for the specials to run, it's a really inexpensive trip (as long as you don't buy a lot of sodas or do excursions... or buy those stupid raffle tickets... or snorkel for $30 a day). I think for a longer vacation I still prefer flying and staying at an All Inclusive where it really is ALL included.

Norwegian's marketing campaign though is what really sold me though. They call it "Freestyle Cruising" where you can do what you want, when you want. All their printed materials and advertising before and on the cruise are very laid back, witty and a bit sarcastic. I love the atmosphere they created and I felt completely relaxed the whole trip.

One of the coolest things that happened was our rocket-sighting. At the time we both thought it was the Space Shuttle, but it was amazing to see that thing from the Caribbean, 150 miles south of where it lifted off. It zoomed directly over our ship, and we could actually see the rocket itself. Coolest. Thing. Ever.
I really missed Josh though. Robyn and I discussed at one point that it wasn't so much that we were missing seeing our boys as it was talking to them. Robyn and Brian have done long distance for three years, and Josh and I are well acquainted with this, so that is what we missed most. We would see things and do things and wish we could call them to tell them about it.


Josh had a good weekend at home, had a lot of guy-time, and spent Sunday evening with my parents. He was visiting Abby since he had to go back to Clearwater Monday morning. My darling husband even watered my garden and gave it Miracle Grow while I was gone! So sweet.

All in all it was a fun weekend and I'd love to make this a once-a-year weekend getaway. We'll see how that pans out tough. And maybe one day I can convince (read=force) my hubby to go with me. =)

Josh, Kim & Abby

2 comments:

  1. How awesome!! I'm glad you and Robyn had such a good time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I love that you sneaked into Atlantis...LOL

    ReplyDelete