Tuesday, August 31, 2010

What NOT to do

As a follow-up to my "I got a new job" post... here's a little lesson for anyone applying for jobs.

I sent out a handful of resume's, but only one hotel called my references, which is the hotel I got the job at.

I always include my references with my resume so they don't have to ask me for them. They're on a separate piece of paper as my resume.

I include my boss from two hotels ago, my boss from my last hotel, and my personal reference (Robyn's step-mom Melissa, who's known me since I was 8).

It's good to be proactive, you see. New bosses appreciate that sort of thing.

Unless, of course, you list your husband's phone number as your boss's.

Which I did.

Josh and Mark are the only two people I call from memory that have area codes "321" - I was CONSTANTLY dialing the wrong number and would realize mid-way through, or even as it started to ring. Not a problem, just hang up and start over.

You can't do that on a resume.

Luckily, my new boss thought this little incident was hysterical. And, my husband gave me a good review, so it all worked out.

Yes, you're allowed to laugh at me.

Just don't make the same mistake, or the joke's on you. =)

Love,
Josh, Kim & Abby

No comments:

Post a Comment