Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The Kentucky Move - Day 1

13 hours, 6 gas stops, 1 sneaky hotel stay, 1 fire alarm, 4 states, 2 fast food restaurants, 2 Benadryl pills, 1 hastily written MBA paper and lots of coffee...

...about sums up our drive to Kentucky.

Josh flew in LATE Friday night (delayed flights are my favorite) so we got a rather late... ok very late... start on Saturday morning.






Mom took this as our "driving away picture" and says she successfully did it without crying!

The drive went fine, although Abby was quite restless even with the Benadryl I gave her to calm her anxiety. We put her bed between us on the console, so she stayed there on her thrown most of the time. Due to her overwhelming cuteness, she would sometimes end up on Mommy or Daddy's lap, but that was few and far between.










We had to stay overnight at a Hampton in Chattanooga because both me and the dog couldn't do 13 hours straight (poor Josh), but unfortunately most Hamptons don't accept pets... and this one was no exception.

So, I booked this outside-entrance Hampton and asked for a room on the first floor in the rear of the building so we could just back the truck up to the door and bring Abby in covert-like.

Does anything ever go my way when I try to be sneaky? No.

Our room was on the second floor, all the way around facing the pool, over the main office. Fantastic.

We made it into the room successfully without Abby being seen. BUT. At midnight, after we're all tucked in and comfy... the fire alarm starts going off everywhere. And doesn't stop. Then, the hotel staff start coming around KNOCKING ON DOORS telling us to evacuate to the parking lot.

We are hiding a DOG from you, we can't "evacuate to the parking lot"!!

Long story short, there was no fire, and the fire trucks finally left about 1am. We snuck Abby back out on Sunday morning amongst 23 housekeepers who never saw her.

Whew.

I did leave my MBA school books at the hotel amidst the mayhem, so we did end up paying something extra in the end, in lieu of the dog fee we were dreading. I'm pretty sure that's God teaching me a lesson.

(I got no pictures of us in the hotel. Guess I was a little distracted.)

Love,
Josh, Kim & Abby

1 comment:

  1. If Mark had been the GM there, you definitely would have had that pet fee. =D

    ReplyDelete