Monday, July 27, 2009

"Texting is stupid"

When Josh first moved back to Orlando, he did not understand what the big deal was about texting. In fact, he thought the whole concept was stupid. "Wouldn't it be easier to just make a phone call?" he'd ask me. Texting had become very popular in the three years he was overseas and was standard on all cell phones by the time he got back, so this was still all new to him.

I tried to explain that it was just like Instant Messaging on the computer, which he and I did 24/7 while he was in Honduras and Iraq. He disagreed, it was not similar in the least. I pointed out that there are situations when you're just not able to make a phone call, i.e. at work, in a movie, at dinner, etc., so you send a quick text instead. Nope. He still protested that it was stupid. I gave up trying to explain, and just called him like he wanted, even though it was sometimes inconvenient for him or me. But, you pick your battles.

That was three years ago.

One of the questions asked to both me and Josh as part of a bridal shower game was how many times a day we call/text each other. Josh answered "probably 10 phone calls a day, and 40 texts." The funny thing is, he really wasn't too far off. And most of them are from him to me.

For someone who didn't even understand the concept of texting, he certainly has come a long way. Josh and I are constantly texting. It's like one ever-continuous conversation. He will send me texts throughout the day to remind me he loves me, say hi, ask what I'm doing... I'll ask what he's doing, we'll send pictures back and forth, or plan our upcoming weekends. He's a texting fool, I tell you.

And I love it. The fact that he wants to check in through the day. Wants to remind me how much he loves me and misses me. Wants me to do the same... All via something he thinks is stupid. But it's all we have during the day at our jobs, so he uses it. Because he wants to talk to me. Wants me to know he's thinking about me, even though we're apart.

I know, I'm bragging a little on my husband. But some days I realize how good I have it, how good he is to me, and how blessed I am. I pray I never take him for granted and always remind him how much I appreciate the little things.

Little things, like texting me, even though he hates it.

Josh, Kim & Abby

1 comment: