Wednesday, July 15, 2009

5 months vs. 31 years

Josh and I will have been married for 5 months on the 22nd of this month.

My parents have been married for 31 years, today.

I remember being in my teens counting down to 20 years when my mom got out her wedding dress for the first time... of course I had to try it on. And then I remember 25 years while I was in college - the Silver Anniversary, so I got them a big silver engraved frame and sent them to Olan Mills for portraits.

And here they are, 6 years later, on number 31. I know what a rare occurrence my parents are these days, and I am so proud of them.

If that weren't enough though, my grandparents, Josh's parents and his grandparents are all still together as well. Our family is a phenomenon. We have a lot to live up to!

The great thing is, I know it will be us in 31 years, and I am excited for it. We know we will be counting the years, seeing what each anniversary is - paper, silver, eventually GOLD. I know I'll be getting out my dress on our 20 year anniversary, we'll get pictures done at 25 (Josh will still be complaining about getting his picture taken), then we'll pass the 30 year mark. We'll be looking back on experiences, remembering so many life-changing moments throughout our married years, and watching our children start to get married.

Love is a decision, every day. It is not a feeling - feelings come and go. Love is a commitment. It is a life-long work-in-progress with such rewarding results. We have learned this from our parents and we are so grateful for them, and their Godly example for us to follow.

Happy Anniversary Mom & Dad. We love you!

Josh, Kim & Abby

1 comment:

  1. "Love is a decision, every day. Love is a commitment."

    Amen to that! I just replied to a TK post on my club board about something like this :) My parents' divorce shattered my idea of a happy marriage for a while, but I think Will and I can make ours a lasting one :)

    Yay for you and Josh---you're on your way! And many, many congrats to your parents :)

    ReplyDelete