Friday, July 31, 2009

Take the Cake

Josh and I LOVE ice cream. This is a commonality we've shared since we were teenagers, and most people do know this about us. We should have had ice cream at the wedding...

Our current favorite ice cream is Edy's low fat "Take the Cake."
When I was 15, my first job was at an I Can't Believe It's Yogurt (ICBY, not TCBY...) and Josh would visit me quite frequently. Well, I think he was actually more interested in the ice cream than me at the time... but I digress. I thought working at an ice cream shop would help me to not like ice cream so much, or maybe even I'd get sick of it and not want it anymore. This was not the case, and I actually became more of an ice cream afficiando (read = snob) than before.

I was introduced to cake-batter flavored ice cream while I was in college living in Gainesville. This little shop called Coldstone Creamery came on the scene with this flavor, and I loved it. We all did, actually, and I still do to this day. We visited Coldstone all the time... which probably contributed to my gaining the Freshman 15 in my Junior year...

However, Josh always got coffee flavored ice cream - wherever we went, whatever we bought, it was just coffee flavored. I know many of you won't be surprised by that though. I finally got Josh to try my cake-batter ice cream after several previous failed attempts. His reaction wasn't over-the-top like mine, but he acknowledged that it was "pretty good."

Since that day, he orders cake-batter everywhere we go. He even hunted down a cake-batter flavored ice cream at Wal-Mart because it was the only store that sold it at the time. I guess he thought it was more than just "pretty good" lol.

When we saw the new Take the Cake flavor last year, we thought we'd just try it to see if it lived up to it's name and advertising. It supposedly had cake icing and candy-coated chocolate sprinkles mixed into the cake-batter flavored ice cream. Well, sounds good, right? And we wouldn't have to go to Wal-Mart anymore because Edy's ice cream is at all grocery stores, which I was thrilled with. (That's an entry for another day.)

It's amazing. It tastes just like birthday cake. I'd even go so far as to say it is better than Coldstone's cake-batter ice cream... but don't tell them I said that. ;) And it's lowfat, by the way.

We always have a container in the freezer. If I've eaten the last of it and Josh is coming home from Clearwater, I'll make a special trip to Publix to get a new carton so it's here for him.

Yes, it's that important. And that good. =)

Josh, Kim & Abby

2 comments:

  1. I like cake batter too...and Will thinks I'm crazy ;)

    But it's so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmm...I will have to try this! I always stick to plain vanilla or cookie dough. Jon is always looking for something new though. This sounds "pretty good" lol! :)

    ReplyDelete