Sunday, November 15, 2009

"My current location is"

Josh loves his Palm Pre (it's a fancy cell phone). He is always getting these updates for it and always getting new "apps" - which is short for "applications" or programs that you can run on the phone. Every now and then he'll come over to show me a new app he just downloaded, and explain how cool it is.

Truth is though, that there are some really useful apps on there. One in particular has really been helpful for us.

If you recall the time Josh and his buddy were hiking in the forest and had the near bear experience, what you don't know about that day is that Josh and I had miscommunicated on exactly which State Forest they were in. He was in the habit of hiking for a couple hours each morning, but on this particular morning, he forgot to tell me they were switching forests. Had that situation turned serious, I would've had the rangers searching a totally different forest....

Don't worry, we fixed the problem. Which leads me to this wonderful app on Josh's phone.

I don't know what it's called, but for sake of this post, let's say it's the "Google Locator" app.

Basically, the Google Locator lets Josh send his exact location coordinates and a link to a Google map to me in one push of a button from his cell phone. In either email or text form. And I, in turn, with one click of the mouse or opening of a text message can see exactly where he is.

It's fantastic.

So now, every time he goes out into the woods, I'll get a text message from him or whoever he's with that says "My current location is: ____________," showing me exactly where they are. What's neat about a Google Map is that it will also show me terrain and satellite, so I can see that they really are completely off the beaten path. This one is from when they went out to watch the meteor shower last month:
They're the little red flag with the A on it.

He also uses the Google Locator when he's flying for the Reserves to show me where they are. I think he finds it more funny than anything though, because most of the time I don't know where they are planning to fly, so when his location comes in it's always a surprise. Like yesterday, I got a text message showing me he was all the way up in the northern part of Florida - I had no they were flying up there! And the ones when he lands in Gainesville are hilarious too. I get jealous. lol

Seriously though, it's a relief having this feature so that I can keep track of my husband as he pops up all over the state. And I so appreciate that he thinks to use it and understands why it's important for me.

I guess I'll admit that's he right about his Palm Pre... it really is very cool. Maybe I should get one when it's time to upgrade my phone?

Josh, Kim & Abby

No comments:

Post a Comment