Monday, October 5, 2009

Into the Woods

It's no secret that Josh likes to go backpacking and camp in the woods. At one point, he was seriously planning on through-hiking the Appalachian Trail, which would have taken 6 months to backpack from Georgia to Maine. I told him to have a great time... but no, I was not interested in going with him.

Eventually he may get to accomplish that dream, depending on our life and family situation. In the meantime, Josh takes short overnight trips out to one of the State Forests, which is just a short distance from our apartment. Normally he takes one or two other guys, they hike a couple miles in, find a "campsite," pitch their tents, then come back the next day.

Sometimes it's even just a morning hike into the woods and then right back out - just to stay in shape for bigger trips.

When they come home, they look like mountain men - dirty, sweaty, and most of the time sporting beards.
Side note: the tradition when they come out of the woods is to have breakfast at Cracker Barrel - without going home first, changing, or SHOWERING. Those poor people at Cracker Barrel.....

I've only been hiking once in my life - last November, in Georgia, in 30 degree weather, in the RAIN, wearing a plastic fishing poncho from Walmart we got on the drive up there. I was soaked to the bone, freezing, and miserable.

Probably the worst first experience hiking I could have had, no? My version of hiking/camping is sleeping in a camper trailer, with heat, a bed, and a cook-top stove that I can make spaghetti on.

Regardless, I've promised that when it cools off this fall/winter, I'll attempt one of the short trips into our woods with Josh. As soon as I said I would, he got us that new tent and me a snazzy new jacket specially made for hiking in the woods. Completely waterproof. He promises I'll stay dry.

Now, the only thing left is for him to convince me that the the bears he's seen in the woods and been followed by... yes, followed by... hibernate in our "winter" just like up north.

Josh, Kim & Abby

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like fun!!! I have heard the saying about bears, "if its brown stay down, if its black fight back" so just try to remember that if they follow you...LOL!

    ReplyDelete