Thursday, January 21, 2010

The Touchtons and Math Don't Mix


So.... one of the things I haven't mentioned about the GMAT test I had to take to get into MBA school was that I didn't do too well on the math portion. In fact, I did less than average...

I've never liked math. Josh and I have this in common.

Luckily, my high Verbal score was able to pull up my Total score enough to meet the requirements for UF. That, and I got a score of 6 on my essay portions (out of a possible 6).

I'm excellent at English and writing. Josh and I also have this in common.

When I got my Admitted Students packet in the mail last week, I couldn't help but notice the rather large Accounting textbook that came with it. The letter (well, one of the letters, there were multiple) stated that I needed to complete said Accounting textbook before school starts on February 11th, or I'd be behind the rest of the class.

And I couldn't help but wonder... Does everyone get this textbook to complete? Or, do just those who do less than average on their math GMAT sections get this book to complete?

I really hope everyone got it. Otherwise, I feel a little silly. But also thankful that they let me in, even with my lack of math knowledge.

It took me awhile to even open the book to start, though, because Accounting is the reason I didn't Minor in Business in my undergrad years. I heard horror stories about this class and got scared, dropped my business minor, and re-focused onto hospitality/tourism.

But, I'm on Chapter 2 already and doing pretty well. So far it all makes sense and I haven't had to do any serious mathematical equations. Hopefully it continues this way and I can completely understand everything I need to for my classes that start in... 3 weeks!

By the way, my best lawyer friend (that would be Robyn) says that the UF MBA school would never send selective students an Accounting book - they would open themselves up for a lawsuit if some students did better than others in the program because of the book.

Which means, I don't have to feel silly about my math score anymore. =)

Josh, Kim & Abby

No comments:

Post a Comment