Friday, September 11, 2009

September 11th, 2001

I was sitting in 12th grade Physics when someone came in the room and said that an airplane had flown right into one of the Twin Towers in NYC. Our teacher wouldn't let us turn on the classroom TV because we were reviewing for a test, and at that point we didn't know it was a terrorist attack.

I had a meeting with the guidance counselor which I left for, and once I walked into the school offices I saw the footage. It was then that I found out it was an act of terrorism. A little later I saw the first Tower fall while in a college recruitment meeting for UF in our school's library. When I finally went back to Physics, our teacher had turned on the TV's. Our review would have to wait.

Josh had just finished his Front Load test in AIT... don't know what that means, but that's what he remembers he was doing.

It's amazing to me how everyone remembers exactly the moment, exactly where they were when they found out about the first events of 9/11. I hear people talk about how they can remember exactly where they were when JFK was assassinated, or when Challenger exploded, but 9/11 was the first life-changing, world-changing event in Josh and I's lifetime.

9/11 was also the catalyst that would catapult Josh overseas into the war zone when he was 19 years old, 8 months after joining the Army. I was so scared for him, even though we weren't together at the time. I talked to him on Instant Messenger until the night he left... I was in Montana on a skiing trip with my Mom. I remember it like it was yesterday.

I'm so proud of him, and so proud to be an American.

We will never forget.

Josh, Kim & Abby

1 comment:

  1. We'll never forget either. I don't know what Will was doing, since we didn't know each other then, but I remember exactly where I was. American History class in 11th grade, and we had a Dutch exchange student there who didn't understand. So we all had to explain to her why we were freaked out.

    Definitely a sad day.

    ReplyDelete