Monday, August 3, 2009

"See ya later"

So the original plan for this weekend was for me to drive down and spend it with him since it's Drill. I haven't been to Clearwater in months, and we were both looking forward to getting away for a couple days, even though he'd have to work. At least I'd be there and we wouldn't go another 2 weeks without seeing each other.

Come to find out, Josh and his unit are flying up to Ohio on Thursday to be involved with the NFL Hall of Fame weekend. They will be doing a static display, a flyover of the parade, and a flyover of the actual ceremonies. They'll be on NBC and everything... I thought this was pretty neat and just a little bit of a big deal... but Josh is less than thrilled because it just means a 9 hour helicopter ride there and back. If Ohio was closer, he'd be super excited.

So there go our plans. Again. He left this morning at 5 a.m.
As he kissed me on the forehead I said "See you in two weeks." And as he walked out the door, he said to me "See ya later."

Even at those wee hours of the morning, I remembered how those phrases, or variations of them, used to bother me, because I didn't understand. He started saying it to me lots when he was deployed. I smiled as I remembered complaining how impersonal it was for him to say "See ya" to me, his girlfriend. I'm more important than a "See ya," aren't I??

It took me awhile, but I came to understand that it wasn't about Josh saying "See ya" to me, it was about him never saying "Good bye" to me. It's always, "See ya later." Thus, the reason it started during deployment. He would see me again, and soon. It wasn't good bye.

I appreciate this now, and I love the thought he puts into what he says to me. Don't get me wrong, we do say bye to each other on the phone or if I'm headed to work... but whenever he leaves for a period of time, it's always "See ya later."

And I always smile. But boy, September can't come soon enough. We're tired of having to say it.

Josh, Kim & Abby

P.S. Look for Josh on NBC this weekend during the NFL Hall of Fame!!

1 comment: