Saturday, August 29, 2009

Robyn's Bridal Shower

Six months to the day from when Robyn served as my Maid of Honor, I got to throw Robyn her first shower for her wedding in October.

I was so excited about this - Robyn and I have been friends since we were 8 years old and promised each other back then we'd be each other's Maids of Honor. We've been looking forward to this for a long time, and I wanted it to be perfect, special, and really meaningful.

Robyn and Brian's honeymoon will most likely be a week trip to tour California's wine country, including Napa Valley, etc. So, we tied in a wine theme to the shower and used our favorite colors blue and orange. (go gators.)

I did a ton of DIY decor, just like our wedding, and we used almost every idea that each bridesmaid had. We had wine glass lamps (courtesy of Martha Stewart) on the tables, tissue paper pom poms from the ceiling, a wine tasting table that included home made sangria, all her favorite foods on the lunch menu, black and white with a pop of blue pictures hanging around the room...
I also did a Wishing Well for her that consisted of recipe cards submitted by each guest, which I put into a Vera Bradley binder with dividers, and "Kitchen Gadgets" (like a potato masher, lettuce knife, pie gate, etc.) that we put into a home made kitchen sink one of the bridesmaids made (so she got everything and the kitchen sink lol). Her guest book was two wine bottles (one for family, one for friends) that each guest signed. These will be turned into wine bottle lamps for her to use as decoration in her new home.
...and for favors, hand-painted wine glasses (that we baked, so you can use them like a normal glass) with home-made fortune cookies (with custom fortunes inside) in baggies tied with ribbon.
There are lots of stories that led up to the shower, but the one most worth sharing pertains to the fortune cookies, and my lovely dog Abigail. I was not good at making the fortune cookies. It took me two batches, which should have made 70, to only get 35 good ones worth serving to the guests.

After a horrible day at work on Friday, my mom met me at my apartment to help transport all the shower stuff to the hotel and help me decorate. Once I got up the stairs, I noticed my little baggies, empty, all...over...the apartment. Abby had eaten 24 of the 35 cookies I finished. The night before the shower. Good times.

The shower was lots of work for every bridesmaid, but we were all really proud of the outcome. This was a great group of girls I got to work with. And most of all, Robyn loved it, so we were happy.



Kim & Abby

2 comments:

  1. That's so great....even the cookie story. (SO like a dog, isn't it! I assume the cookie issue was fixed somehow. LOL!)

    Those wine bottle guestbooks are really cute! Glad Robyn loved everything :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim and your girls are master party throwers!! I love the wine glasses!! You have to pass on the info on how to make those and the cake was so cute!! I am planning on taking some cake making classes this fall. I can't wait to work with fondant!!!

    ReplyDelete