Thursday, April 15, 2010

Lose It! App vs. the Wife 10


So you've heard of the Freshman 15, right? Kids who've just graduated high school and head off to college gain 15 pounds in their Freshman year due to eating pizza at 4am and ice cream for dinner.

I gained the Freshman 22. I lost it all after I graduated, but still.

Now, I am convinced there is something called the Wife 10. At least, it exists for me. I gained 10 pounds in the first MONTH and a HALF after Josh and I got married. I've been hovering around 7-10 extra pounds ever since.

I say this because SCUBA starts tomorrow, which has been my catalyst to get my unnecessary extra 10 pounds off.

Additionally, a friend of mine who also got married the same year as us just lost 10 pounds in 2 and a half weeks.... using a program on her iPhone called "Lose It!" that's been featured on The Today Show and in the New York Times.

And, I just so happen to have a snazzy new iPod Touch that can download this App, courtesy of my UF MBA program. So I did. Although, I'm pretty sure this isn't exactly what they expected me to use my iTouch for....

It's basically just a calorie counting application. Once you enter in all your health information and how fast you want to lose weight, it spits out an allotted number of calories you can eat per day. Then, you input every single thing you eat, and it calculates how many calories have you left for the given day.


It also tracks your weight loss over time, and computes other nutrient totals and such. It's really a great little program, especially because I can take it with me everywhere I go. And, I'm not having to physically write down and count up everything like I did when I lost the Freshman 22...

So, this is my current accountability partner for trying to beat my Wife 10. I'm obviously not going to make it to my goal for the first weekend of SCUBA, but maybe I'll be down to just having a Wife 5 by next weekend for the open water dives.

I've already lost 3 pounds. At least it's a start. I really miss ice cream and pizza, though.

Josh, Kim & Abby

No comments:

Post a Comment