Thursday, March 18, 2010

Hamptonality

I got to do something pretty cool last week.

I'm only the Assistant General Manager at my Hampton Inn & Suites, but I got to go to the Hampton General Manager Brand Conference in Dallas, Texas.

I was nervous, like I always am with large groups of people I don't know, and this is the second time in a month I've had to be in this type of situation by myself. But, the opportunity was awesome and I felt priviledged to be able to go.

Of course, I took Mabel with me.
There were 2,200 GM's at the conference. 2,200. All in one room. I was completely overwhelmed by the masses of people the first day. The convention center they had us in was behind the actual hotel, and we all had to walk down this long covered pathway to get there. The constant stream of people for 10 minutes reminded me of the cartoon drawings of the Israelites crossing the Red Sea... all in a seemingly never-ending line.

I found the General Sessions fascinating. Hampton put together these panels of people who all sat up on stage in easy chairs and discussed whatever the current topic was. I felt like I was just listening in on a focus group (my advertising background coming out).

The most interesting panel discussion was the Diamond Member panel - they had 4 Diamond members (the top level in our Hilton rewards club program) up there discussing pet peeves, what's important to them, past experiences, and what keeps them coming back. To be able to hear from their point of view, from someone who is away from home over 100 nights a year, was really enlightening. I've already shared a bunch of information from that session with my staff, who also found it all very interesting. We have started to do things a little differently based on the conversation I got to listen to.

However, I think the biggest thing I noticed by attending conference is how my confidence level increased. In every single break out session I attended, I felt like I knew all the material already and knew what I was talking about. I was able to hold intelligent conversations with General Managers being only an AGM. And most did not realize I was an AGM until they looked at my nametag.

Until this point, I have always said that I want to be a General Manager "one day." And I really meant it how it sounded - one day in the distant future, not sure when that will be. I think I was in this mind set because I came up with the goal of becoming an AGM for myself right out of college, and I achieved it very quickly. I almost catapulted to where I am now. I knew I could do it, so I did it. It wasn't easy; I felt like I didn't know what I was doing for half of it all, felt I was too young the marjority of the time. But I did it anyway, because that was the goal I'd set for myself.

When I got the AGM position here over 2 years ago, I did not set a new goal for myself. I'd been working so hard to get here and finally was, so I relaxed. I was content, and then got complacent. This job became easy and in my comfort zone.

Well, I'm happy to say that being at Conference showed me I could do it. I could absolutely be a General Manager, no question. It won't be easy. I'll feel like I don't know what I'm doing half the time, and I'll feel like I'm too young. But I've now officially set that goal for myself.

I know part of my confidence is this MBA that I'm working on. I'm learning so much and beginning to see improvement in myself. I've already had some personal successes in the program, which have shown me I can do more than I think I can.

So it won't be next week or next month, probably not even next year. But soon, very soon, I will become a General Manager. After that? I don't know. I'll have to come up with my next goal at that point. I'll try not to wait so long before setting a new one though.

Oh, and to be specific, I'm going to be the General Manager of a Hampton Inn & Suites. Because I love this brand. So much.

2 comments:

  1. You're going to make a great GM :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And when you are a GM and I've graduated from school, I'll come be your AGM =D

    ReplyDelete